Surprising things about the States you never knew
What do you imagine when someone says America? The Statue of Liberty, Hollywood, Oprah Winfrey, Wall Street, hot dogs, or the casinos in Las Vegas? Sure, that’s what we see in the media, but have you really explored this fantastic country? The wealth of picturesque wide open country, quiet peaceful nature, mountains, rivers, and a culture of physical fitness that will surprise you. Of all the countries that could say “We’ve got it all”, the United States might rank #1. Reshape your thinking about vacations in the USA, as you read below.
- The US is the 3rd largest country in the world by land area, and 3rd by population (325.7 million people in 2017).
- The US is possibly the most multicultural society, with every civilized country in the world represented.
- Together, the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers combine to form the 4th longest river system in the world.
- The tallest mountain is found in Mount McKinley (Alaska) with maximum elevation of 20,320 ft (6,194 m) above sea level.
- Grand Canyon National Park, in Arizona covers 4,926 km². The canyon itself is 277 miles (446 km) long, 18 miles (29 km) wide, and is over a mile (6,093 feet or 1,857 meters) deep.
- Everglades National Park is the country’s largest subtropical wilderness. At 1.5 million acres in size (yet only 20% of the historic Everglades ecosystem) the park provides a unique home for endangered species like the manatee, American crocodile, and the rare Florida panther.
- Hawaii is the newest of the 50 states (joined in 1959) and is the only state made up entirely of islands.
- The most populated city in the USA is New York, with Los Angeles and Chicago in the top 3.
- English is the most common language, with Spanish as #2, though there is technically no official language for the entire country.
- The first man to walk on the moon was American Neil Armstrong in 1969.
- The most popular team sports there are American football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey.
How do you feel about connecting mind, body, and soul amid acres of peaceful mountain-top redwood forest and grassland, near Santa Cruz, California? Wow, right? The Expanding Intuition Retreat consists of Feldenkrais® lessons, yoga, meditation, movement classes, as well as personal and spiritual growth classes. Rediscover nature as you communicate with people of open spirit, then sit in a hot tub while sipping a cup of tea. Mmmmm!
GET UP, STAND UP! Experience the new craze! “Stand up paddling” is all the rage in the surfing world, and where is the centre of that world? Hawaii! Go to Maui for private surf lessons, to stand up paddle for miles in pristine waters, while watching the colorful sea life below you. They offer a variety of surfing expeditions, good for the beginner to the more experienced, and all surf equipment is provided.
Where to next? Bet you wouldn’t guess Wisconsin! But yes, the Meditation and Yoga Retreat in Amherst, WI is unbelievable. Sessions of guided meditation are sprinkled between workshops on chakras, breathing techniques, and Restorative and Vinyasa flow yoga. Experience the full inner centering of this renewable energy oasis, while exploring trails in the wooded hills and open fields.
If you’ve ever considered vacations in the USA for a long –or short– trip this year, get off the beaten path and go on an active retreat you’ll never forget!